I get a lot of email asking about Direct Drive Washing Machines in India. People want to know if they are better compared to regular belt driven machines. If yes, which is the best washing machine to buy for their homes? I have hence come up with this article help answer all questions about direct drive machines and recommended models.
Direct drive washing machines do offer a better performance vis-a-vis a comparable belt-driven washing machine. They are more silent, energy efficient & durable.
Talking about models, this model by LG would be my personal recommendation. It has good capacity and efficient washing modes. LG provides a 2 year comprehensive and 10-year warranty on the motor.
However, if you are looking for a slightly smaller machine (In terms of capacity), then you can consider this newer 6.5 Kg model FHT1065SNL. The same is available on Flipkart as well, you can click here to compare prices and offers.
What is a Direct Drive Washing Machine?
Direct Drive is the system where the motor is directly connected to the drum of the washing machine. Thereby, increasing energy efficiency and decreasing noise and vibrations that you generally experience with conventional machines.
In conventional washing machines, the drum is connected to the motor with the help of a pulley and belt. Even though this system has evolved it is still not as efficient and reliable as a DD (Direct Drive) mechanism.
The image above will help you visualize the two mechanisms. The one on the left is the DD system where the motor is directly connected to drum. while the one on left uses the regular belt and pully mechanism
Is Direct Drive Better than Belt Drive?
Even though belt drive machines are very good and function effectively for years, there are certainly some advantages to using a direct drive mechanism. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Efficient energy usage: Since the motor is directly connected to the drum, the DD systems would experience less energy loss.
- Micro Slippages: As I said earlier, BD systems are very efficient now. Still, you will surely have some micro slippages. These slippages would increase as the machine would age. This is not something that an average customer would notice on a day to day basis.
- Noise: Washing machines equipped with DD technology makes comparatively lesses noise compared to BD machines.
- Vibrations: Since the motor and the Drum now acts as a single unit, the amount of vibrations caused due to this mechanism is reduced. However, do note that even DD machines can vibrate a lot if the load is not currently adjusted or the surface on which the machine is place is not correctly levelled.
- Durability: DD washing machines are known for their durability. They are not easily impacted by external working conditions. While Belt Driven washing machines might need some love and care after a few years under operations.
Disadvantages of DD Washing Machines:
There are not many drawbacks of this system. However, if I am asked to nitpick, I can list the following drawbacks:
- Since the motor is placed behind the drum (check the image above for reference), it reduces the depth the drum can have. But these machines can have a drum with larger circumference (since the other space at the bottom is freed up). Hence this drawback can be negated in a way.
- DD washing machines tend to be more expensive compared to the regular belt is driven washing machines
- Repairs cannot be carried out by a local mechanic and hence can be expensive. However, do note that LG offers a 2 year comprehensive and an amazing 10-year warranty on the motor.
If you still need some help in understanding this technology, you can watch this 10-minute video below. Else, you can directly skip to the recommendations below it.
Best Direct Drive Washing Machine Models:
By now you would have to know the advantages that Direct Drive washing machines have compared to their traditional counterparts.
I believe it is worth paying a bit extra for these washing machines and enjoy years of trouble-free and efficient washing capabilities.
Hence, I will now list down three models that I believe will suit the requirements of most of my readers.
1. LG FH2G6TDNL42 – 8 Kgs
This is the first machine that I recommended in the summary section above. It has a good load capacity of 8 Kgs and should work fine for most Indian families.
Check the Latest Price & User Reviews – Amazon
- It is a fully automatic, front load washing machine by LG
- The washing machine has a good dryer speed of 1200 RPM. It helps you get nice dry clothes. Helpful for people who get heavy and prolonged monsoons in their cities
- Comes with an easy to use digital display and multiple pre-programmed wash cycles like baby care, quick 30, Skincare and Intensive
- Has an inbuilt heater which allows washing clothes in hot water for perfect cleaning
- Other notable features are auto restart (after a power outage), child locking & has a durable stainless steel drum
- LG offers a comprehensive 2-year warranty on the product and 10 years on the motor
You May Like – LG vs IFB – Which Brand of Washing Machine to Buy?
2. LG FHT1265SNW – 6.5 Kgs
A smaller and more budget-friendly option for a family of 2 people. This is also amongst the more newer models and hence has a more modern look to it.
- Again a fully automatic, front load washing machine by LG
- Powered by a 6 motion DD Motor
- The spin rate is the same as the model above at 1200 RPM
- However, this machine has more wash cycles and a steam wash facility
- Is also equipped with SmartThinQ NFC technology. This helps you download even more wash cycles for different requirements
- It includes all other features mentioned in the washing machine above
So to conclude, a good modern washing machine with smart capabilities for a small family.
3. LG F4J8VHP2SD Washer + Dryer – 9 Kgs
This machine is ideal for people who do not have a lot of concern about the budget and wish to buy the best product the market has to offer. Especially, a product that comes with an inbuilt dryer.
This product is a combination of washing machine & dryer. This helps you save on space and you do not need to buy two different appliances at your home.
For people who are not aware of the difference between the spin cycle that the conventional washing machine offers and a dryer. Spin only removes excess water from your clothes and does not dry them completely. You will need to place them on a clothesline for them to dry completely.
Dryer, on the other hand, uses warm air and a combination of other technologies to completely dry your clothes. Once done, you can directly fold them or start using them.Check the Latest Price – Amazon | Flipkart
This washing machine also comes with SmartThinQ with Wi-Fi technology and has a maximum spin rate of 1400 RPM.
You can also watch the video below for more details:
You May Like – Best Washing Machine Brands in India
I hope this article helped you understand if the direct drive technology used in the LG washing machine is useful or not.
If you have any further questions about the technology or the products that I recommended, do feel free to reach out to me using the comments section below. I will try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.