In this article, I will be shortlisting and be reviewing all the best kitchen hobs in India. These products are also called built-in hobs, gas hobs or hobtops.
A hob is a modern variation of the gas stove. Most hobs are installed on your kitchen top and cannot be removed easily. Hobs are also comparatively expensive. So it is really important that you make the right choice while you are buying it.
This is an appliance where you should stretch your budget and the best quality product that you can. Because once it is installed, it will be very expensive for your to get a new one installed (I am referring to the labour & material charges here)
I went through all the gas hobs that you can buy online and have shortlisted a list of 7 best kitchen hobs that you can consider buying. If you are looking the best option out there right now, my personal suggestion would be to buy this Elica Brass 4 Burner Hob.
Also, do not forget to read about why I don’t recommend buying the Prestige hob top in the latter half of the review.
So, I will start off with the list below.
Best Built-In Gas Hobs in India:
1. Bosch Tempered Glass Gas Hob
This is the most elegantly & intelligently designed kitchen hob on the list. And there is no surprise that this is also one of my most preferred gas hob on the list.
There are two variations available in the same product. There is a hob with 4 & 5 burners. You can go for the one that fits your requirements. Both models have a tempered glass, which is easier to clean and does not break easily.
You can easily use an Indian vessel on it (Curved bottom) – It is not necessary for you to use flat bottom utensils. However, if you are shifting from a cooktop for the first time, you will need some time to get used to this product completely.
The quality of the product is top notch. The product has a beautiful black finish. The buttons are very sturdy and easy to use. Overall a 5 star rated product from Bosch. Both models have auto-ignition. In case there is no electricity at home, you can use your regular lighter. The burners are made out of Aluminium. This is the only drawback of what is a fantastic product otherwise.
If brass burners are must for you, you can for the Elica Hob featured below as number 2 product on this list.
Safety Feature: The best feature of this product is the safety feature that Bosch has built in. They have a flame failure safety device, the device shut off the hob in case the flame goes off (Say in the case of wind blowing into your kitchen)
The 4 burner hob has 2 Standard burners, 1 Economy and 1 Wok(4.0 kW). While the 5 Gas Burner model has 1 Rapid Burner, 2 Standard burners, 1 Economy and 1 Wok(4.0 kW) burner attached.
2. Elica Hob 4B 60
Elica is a very well know brand for their kitchen chimneys and hobs. They have some of the most silent kitchen chimneys in India. Their kitchen hobs are equally good and well designed. Have a look at the images below to see two of the models I would be discussing.
The two models are almost the same. There is one small difference between the two. The classic MFC 4B 60 Model (Fully black hob in the picture below) has one larger burner of 4.0 KW, one medium 2.5 kW and 2 small 1.5 kW burners.
While the Classic Brass 4B (The picture on right with silver between the burners) has one medium 2.5 kW and 3 small 1.5 kW burners.
There is one major advantage of this product. and hence it picked up the number two spot on the list. This can produce can be used as a built-in hob or a freestanding cooktop as well. This gives you added flexibility. This one of the best built-in hobs with brass burners in India. The brass burners are further coated in black enamelling to prolong their life.
The product also comes with one year warranty (The glass is not covered)
3. Sunflame CT Hob
This one more kitchen hub with brass burner. There is no coating on top so the brass is clearly visible on the burners. The hob is nicely designed and has ample space for you to cook on 2 or three burners at one go.
The hob has an electric ignition system & works fine with regular lighters too. This product has 2 years of warranty with onsite support for any manufacturing defect.
4. Glen GL 1063 RO
This kitchen hob has a unique design. Any normal Indian household will be cooking using a medium to large utensils. The problem with most of the hobs is that you can fit multiple utensils in one go.
This unique design helps solve that problem. You can use the burner on the right to cook with your larger cooker or kadhai, while the smaller two can go on the left.
Check the live price in India – Flipkart
The burners are made out of aluminium. The top has a nice black finish to it. The glass used is a toughened glass to make the surface more sturdy and scratch resistant.
The burner style is Italian double ring. The gas hob has 2 big burners and one small sized burner in the front.
The product looks really good. They only thing I wish was better, were the knobs. I am more comfortable using the regular gas knobs, while this kitchen hob has round knobs.
5. Elica Flexi Brass Hct 375 Dx
One more hob from Elica which also can be used as a cooktop. So you have an option of getting it fitted inside your platform or just use it as a free standing stove.
The design of the product is quite sleek and modern looking. The support for the utensils is made using cast iron and hold regular Indian utensils (Curved bottom).
Check the live price in India – Amazon
The product comes with two mini triple ring brass burners and one larger double ring brass burner. The knobs again are circular, however, the quality of the knobs is good.
6. Glen Built In Hob 1073 Tr Glass
This is an amazing looking product from Glen. Unlike the products from Elica, you cannot use this product as a regular cooktop. You will need to have it installed on your platform.
The burners are made using brass and are long-lasting. The thickness of the glass used is 8mm.
Check the live price in India – Amazon
The product comes with a one year warranty. There is also installation support provided by Glen team. You can also get it installed by your own vendor.
Why not buy Prestige HobTops in India?
Even though Prestige is a very know brand for kitchen appliance and cookware, I will not suggest you buy a Hob from them.
The brand is known for its quality and price effectiveness (Compared to premium brands). However, it seems they are yet to crack the right formula for Kitchen hobs. The product does not work really well and the most difficult bit is the knobs. The knobs simply don’t work as expected and are not well made. Don’t believe me? Read these user reviews here & here.
Knowing the brand, I am sure they will be launching better models soon.
Buying Guide: Kitchen Hobs
What are the factors to consider before buying a Kitchen Hob?
- Space: This is the most important factor to look for. Verify the dimensions of the hob on the product description page and check if you have enough space for the same on your kitchen platform. Remember, always have more space than required for installation. This will help you work better in your kitchen
- Budget: I am a big advocate of having your budget in mind before you go out shopping. However, I will make an exception while buying the hob. Go for the best hob that you can afford, stretch your budget if need be. I say this because this will be a permanent fixture in your kitchen for years. If the hob is of bad quality and you need to replace it in a couple you years, you will actually end up spending more for installation
- The depth of the Burner stand: Ensure that they hob that you buy is designed for Indian cooking. Else you will have to replace your utensils (with flat bottoms) or buy extra supports.
- Burner Material – Having a burner made out of brass will ensure it will last you for years. However, I made an exception and selected Bosch as the best product on this list as it has that extra safety feature. Being safe is more important 🙂
- Keep aside extra money for installation.
Hobs vs Regular Gas Stove – Differences:
- Hob is generally installed on your platform, while traditional gas stoves are kept on top. The stoves are movable, while hobs are permanent fixtures.
- You need to get the hobs installed. While stoves are ready to be used.
- Regular gas stoves are portable and hence are easier to shift.
- Hobs generally look much better and are easier to clean. The flow with your platform giving your kitchen a much more modern look.
- However, hobs are more expensive vis-a-vis a comparable freestanding cooktop
- Hobs tend to save space and are ideal for small kitchens.
Which is better, Gas Stove or Hob?
Well, this is a very subjective question. However, I will still provide you with a few points to ponder upon:
- Are you buying this product for your own home? Do you plan to stay in this home for years to come?
- You are ok to spend a bit more to for better-looking kitchen
- You don’t plan to make any changes to the position of your hob once it is installed?
If answers to all the questions above are yes then you should probably go with Hob.
However, if you are staying in a rented space or if you plan to shift your home soon, I will suggest you save money and buy a gas stove. Use my guide on the best Gas Stoves in India to buy the right one for your kitchen.
Brass vs Aluminium Burners – Which one to choose?
Brass Burners – Brass is an alloy made by mixing copper and zinc. The most beneficial characteristic of brass is that it does not rust. This metal is also very durable. These properties make it an ideal choice for the gas burner. Burners made out of brass will tend to serve you for a long period of time.
Aluminium Burners – The melting point of pure aluminium is lower compared to brass. This means that it will deform faster (Although this burner will also serve you for multiple years). The advantage of aluminium is that it is cheaper compared to brass and second, it cools down much faster compared to brass (Makes cleaning the gas hob easier). It also makes it safer if you have kids around your house. If your burner does develop any problems, you should be able to easily replace the same if you have a hob from a reputable brand.
Disadvantages of built-in hobs:
- The most important disadvantage is that it is not portable. If you are a bachelor or staying in a rented space, you should consider a freestanding cooktop.
- They need installation and a major one. You will need to make space inside your platform to have it fitted.
- The need for either electricity or a battery(depending on the model) to operate the auto ignite feature. But this is not a major drawback as you can always use your regular lighter to turn the flame on.
- Replacement or repairs are a bit complex since they are fixed.
This brings me to an end to my review on the Best Kitchen Hobs in India. I hope you were able to make a decision on the right hob for your kitchen. Do share your feedback, queries or suggestions in the comments section below.